Moodle 3.3 version which was scheduled to release yesterday but unfortunately delayed by a week due to unavoidable circumstances. We are after the development of Moodle 3.3 closely and we are excited to report that it will be released by next Monday.
Common features for all users:
In this article, we will highlight the new and exciting features coming in Moodle 3.3. The common features for all Moodle users are as follows:
- Personalised Dashboard – Moodle 3.3 will contain a brand new personalized dashboard contributed by Moodle User’s Association. The new dashboard will allow to organise and display courses the way you want, and view at a glance current tasks and messages. You can check the course progress, upcoming activities and gradeable activities from the new dashboard.
- Better Office integration – Moodle 3.3 will give you the better flexibility to include your files and documents from popular office suites like Google G Suite and Microsoft Office. Now you can easily Log in and access documents from Microsoft Office and the Google G-Suite.
- Font Awesome – FontAwesome is an icon font containing more than 470 icons to choose from. The fontawesome usage provides a number of benefits like – fewer http requests, sharper scaling, color can be adjusted with CSS, efficient caching etc. This popular, responsive set of icons is now available in core for the benefit of everyone.
- Emoji support – Now you can sparkle up the communication with fun emoji characters anywhere. This will make moodle more popular among students.
If you are a teacher then don’t get heartbroken, as Moodle 3.3 will make your life easier than ever. The new features in Moodle 3.3 will allow you to better optimize your workflow. Here is a brief summary of the new features:
New Features for Teachers:
- Set a ‘Grade by’ reminder – While creating an assignment, now you can set a reminder to alert you in the course overview.
- Specify assignment file types – You can restrict students to submit the assignments in specific file formats only during the assignment setup.
- Collapse comments in assignments – Provide feedback comments in the assignments with better readability. The new collapsible comments will allow you to post multiple comments without obscuring the content.
- Better activity completion management – Now you as a teacher can edit and update the activity completion settings in your courses easily in bulk.
- Drag and drop media – Like drag and drop text in earlier Moodle versions, you can easily drag and drop media files to add them to the course page.
- ‘Stealth’ activities – available but not shown – An improvement on ‘orphaned sections’, links may now be made to activities which are not shown on the course page.
- More tag areas – Now the tags are extended to Glossary entries, forum posts and book chapters for better indexing and search.
New Features for Administrators:
- OAuth2 authentication – Moodle 3.3 adds support for the popular Login using Google/Microsoft/Facebook” feature on the login page trough OAuth 2 services in core which can be used by any plugins to give authenticated access to external services either as the current user, or using a system account. The authenticated session can be then shared with repositories like Google Drive or Office 365 without re-authenticating.
- Document file converters – From Moodle 3.3 onwards, Plugins may be installed to convert uploaded assignment submissions to PDF format for teachers to annotate. Unoconv is available as a default document converter.
- Improved MySQL support – Improved support of multibyte unicode characters on MySQL databases means languages such as Japanese, Chinese and Korean work more naturally -and emoji characters are supported throughout the site .
- New “Stealth” mode setting – A new admin setting extends the functionality to link to activities without showing them on the course page.
- Learning analytics plugin – Project Inspire coming to Moodle 3.3 as a local plugin through which you can anonymise and share the site content for research purposes.