Just over a year ago, we introduced Office Lens for Windows Phone—and over that time the app has become one of the most popular free apps on Windows Phone, with an average rating of 4.6 stars (out of 5) from more than 18,500 reviews.
Today, we’re releasing Office Lens for iPhone and Android phones.
Office Lens is a handy capture app that turns your smartphone into a pocket scanner and it works with OneNote so you’ll never lose a thing. Use it to take pictures of receipts, business cards, menus, whiteboards or sticky notes—then let Office Lens crop, enhance and save to OneNote. Just like that—all the scanned images you capture from Office Lens are accessible on all your devices.
Office Lens for iPhone is available for free at the Apple App Store. Here’s a quick look at some of the more significant features and capabilities that Office Lens for iPhone supports:
- Recognizes the corners of a document and automatically crops, enhances and cleans up the image.
Before-and-after look at pictures of a receipt and a paper document captured and processed by Office Lens for iPhone.
- Identifies printed text with optical character recognition (OCR) so that you can search by key word for the image in OneNote or OneDrive.
- Converts images of paper documents and whiteboard notes into Word documents, PowerPoint presentations and PDF files for easy editing and reformatting (see moredetails here).
- Captures business cards and generates contacts you can add to your phone.
- Inserts images to OneNote or OneDrive (as DOCX, PPTX, JPG or PDF format) and gives you options to save, export and share the image.
Before-and-after look at a picture of a whiteboard, captured and processed by Office Lens for iPhone, as well as the options you have to save, export or share with others.
Additionally, a preview of Office Lens for Android phones is available today, with features similar to Office Lens for iPhone. To get the Office Lens for Android phone, follow these three easy steps:
- Go to Office Lens Android Preview in the Google+ community.
- Click Join community in the upper right-hand corner.
- Under About this community, click the Become a Tester link and then follow instructions on the page.
Bringing Office Lens to iPhone and Android is a significant step for extending OneNote capturecapabilities to more devices and endpoints. Get it for your iPhone, Android phone or Windows Phone today—start scanning documents and whiteboards from the convenience of your phone, and let us know what you think in the comments below and at app store feedback.